15 March 2012

Absence of James, Angel a ‘big blow’

By Cedelf P. Tupas
Philippine Daily Inquirer

KATHMANDU—Philippine Azkals’ striker Phil Younghusband, the country’s leading scorer in the AFC Challenge Cup here, feels he is benefitting from the team’s improved play and said that the absence of his older brother James and Angel Guirado will be a “big blow” against Turkmenistan.
Phil is tied with North Korea’s Pak Nam-chol as the tournament’s top scorer with three goals from three matches.
But he has been quick to give the credit to his teammates, particularly the defensive line consisting of goalkeeper Neil Etheridge, Ray Jonsson, Carli de Murga, Jason Sabio and Rob Gier.
“We’ve been playing well together,” said the 24-year-old striker, who has 21 goals in 32 appearances for the country. “Obviously, the attack has been getting praise because we have been scoring, but it’s been a total team effort.”
The suspension of older brother James and Guirado for accumulated yellow cards means Phil will be missing two familiar faces in the attack line.
“I have a connection with brother and me, and Angel (Guirado) we’re also starting to have a connection,” said Phil. “It’s a big blow for me personally. The last game I couldn’t have done it without Angel (Guirado).”
Younghusband could be paired up with Fil-Dutch midfielder Paul Mulders, who set up the Fil-British striker for the first goal in the friendly against Nepal.
The Netherlands-based Mulders, who missed a clear-cut chance in injury time against Tajikistan, believes he can still come up with a stronger performance.
“I was only able to adjust to the time difference two nights ago,” said Mulders, who plays for ADO Den Haag in the Dutch first division. “I still feel I can do better.”
With Mulders around, Phil believes he still has solid attacking support. “I love playing with Paul,” he said. “He puts pressure on the ball and loves to attack. I don’t know who coach (Michael Weiss) will pick but if I have Paul with me there, I’m confident.”

No comments:

Post a Comment