13 July 2016

Woodland Determined To Repay Manager’s Faith

Midfielder Luke Woodland is grateful for the opportunity presented to him after signing a six month contract with the club yesterday.

The 20-year-old has joined on an initial short term deal and wants to repay the faith manager Steve Robinson has put in him.

He said: “I want to get my head and show the manager and the fans what I can do. 

“If I can extend that by showing my potential on the pitch and getting a good run in the team this season then that would be great.”

Woodland is no stranger to supporters at SportsDirect.com Park after the youngster enjoyed a successful loan period in 2015.

He played six times altogether and won the man of the match in the 3-0 win over Rochdale that season.

“Looking at the stadium, there has been a massive change since I was last here,” he admitted. 

“The last time I was here, there was only a shell of a stand there so it makes the stadium a really nice place to play and I’m looking forward to it a lot.”

The former Bolton Wanderers youngster had a strange year last season, training with teams abroad and playing more for his national team than at club level.

“I went to train with New York Red Bulls in September last year and then a team in the league below for a week as well,” he said. 

"It was a good experience to train with Shaun and Bradley Wright-Phillips over there and nice to see how the MLS play and it was a good experience for me. 

“Most of my games last season were international qualifiers for the Philippines, alongside Neil Etheridge who was on loan here. 

"Playing at international level is good experience for me, especially in the World Cup qualifiers. We played away at Uzbekistan in front 50-60,000 fans and that was good to play in and benefitted me.”

Woodland now knows it is time for his career to kick on now and he is determined to secure a long term future with the club.

“When you have had a tough year, you try and keep fit and wait for the opportunity to come across,” he said. 

“The gaffer has had me in and I’ve taken the opportunity and I’m ready for the season to start now.”

Watch the full interview on Latics PlayerHD

    Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/woodland-determined-to-repay-managers-faith-3181770.aspx#fX6AjkSPhP4AflQ5.99

    No comments:

    Post a Comment